- Venue: Providence Stadium, Guyana
- Date: 5th October 2019
- Time: 5:30 AM IST
- League: CPL 2019
Guyana Amazon Warriors Preview
Guyana is the unbeaten side of CPL 2019 thus far with 9 wins in 9 matches. However, the Warriors would have lost their last match against Jamaica Tallawahs had it not been for Shoaib Malik’s inning. After finding themselves at 8-4 in the 2nd over, Guyana Amazon Warriors fought their way back with a partnership between Shoaib Malik (73*) and Sherfane Rutherford (45).
In addition, the GAW bowling attack was spot on as Imran Tahir finished 3 for 12 while Keemo Paul and Qais Ahmed picked 2 wickets each. Guyana defended 156 runs successfully as they won by 77 runs. This was one of the rare occasions where Brandon King, Shimron Hetmyer and Chandrapaul Hemraj all failed to contribute. Therefore, it could not be said that GAW batsmen have lost their form, rather they’re more likely to bounce back in this last league stage match.
Trinbago Knight Riders Preview
After 4 consecutive wins in the early stage of CPL 2019, TKR lost the momentum with 4 consecutive losses. While they had won 3 matches at home at the beginning of the league stage, TKR lost their last 2 matches at home. They’ve recently played Guyana Amazon Warriors at Trinidad where Ali Khan was the most economical bowler for TKR with figures of 1 for 23.
While bowling first against GAW TKR conceded 185 runs picking up 6 wickets, in their next match against BT, the Knight Riders finished 134-8 batting first. Chasing a target of 186 against Guyana at Trinidad, TKR was 3 wickets down for 39 runs losing their top 3 batsmen cheaply. Kieron Pollard’s quick 71 runs off 38 balls in addition to a half-century from Darren Bravo wasn’t enough as the Knight Riders lost by 19 runs. Whereas, against Barbados Tridents, Lendl Simmons was the top scorer with 60 off 45 balls while no other batsmen including Pollard made a signifcant contribution to the total.
Guyana Amazon Warriors to win the match
Guyana Amazon Warriors have the winning momentum on their side. Their last win against Jamaica Tallawahs was a true indication of the team character and the ‘warrior’ spirit, so to speak. Trinbago Knight Riders seem direction less and without a sound game-plan or strategy.
Fantasy Team Tips
- Denesh Ramdin carries more experience when compared to Nicholas Pooran. Pooran has also played some handy innings in the death overs, though he is less likely to strike a partnership in tough times.
- The top-order from both teams would have at least one of them strike well for the respective teams in the power-play overs. B King, Shimron Hetmyer for GAW while L Simmons for the Knight Riders is the player to watch out for.
- As was seen in the last match and in matches previous to that, Shoaib Malik had come to the rescue when GAW top-order failed to take off. While Malik is an important all-rounder for GAW, James Neesham would play a similar role for TKR.
- Knight Riders bowling attack hasn’t seen any consistency from the bowlers except for Khary Pierre. While Pierre hasn’t been as successful as Tahir or Chris Green, he’s been consistnetly economical and has manage to find a wicket or two.
Fantasy Team Prediction
- Wicket-Keeper – Denesh Ramdin
- Batsmen – Shimron Hetmyer, B King, C Hemraj, Kieron Pollard, L Simmons
- All-Rounders – Shoaib Malik, James Neesham
- Bowlers – Imran Tahir, Chris Green, K Pierre
- Captain – B King
- Vice-Captain – Imran Tahir