- Venue: Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
- Date: 10th October – 14th October 2019
- Time: 9:30 AM IST
- League: South Africa’s tour of India
India won the 1st Test match by a huge margin of 203 runs. While Rohit Sharma and Mayank Agarwal impressed with the bat, R Ashwin, Mohammad Shami and R Jadeja made significant contributions with the ball. Mayank Agarwal, opening the innings along with Rohit Sharma scored a double hundred while the latter scored 176 helping India to 502-7 batting first. Ashwin and Jadeja picked 7 and 2 wickets respectively in the 1st innings cleaning up the South African top batting order.
While Rohit Sharma scored another hundred in the 2nd innings, Cheteshwar Pujara scored 81 runs at number 3. In addition, Jadeja scored quick 40 runs with 3 sixes helping India build a 394-runs lead. While Ashwin could pick only 1 wicket in the 2nd innings, Jadeja and Shami picked 4 and 5 wickets respectively. While Jadeja dismissed South African openers early on in the innings, Mohammad Shami cleaned up the middle-order. Indian bowling attack had reduced South Africa to 70-6 while the hosts were chasing 395 runs.
South Africa Preview
The Proteas fought back really well after early losses in the 1st innings. From 63-4, South Africa went on to build good partnerships courtesy of Dean Elgar (160), Faf du Plessis (55), and Quinton de Kock (111). As a result, South Africa finished 431-10 in the 1st innings trailing behind India by 71 runs. The bowlers failed to impress in both 1st and 2nd innings and the economy rates were quite high in the 2nd innings.
Keshav Maharaj was top bowler with figures of 3 for 189 in the 1st innings, and 2 for 129 in the second while his economy rate in the 2nd innings was 5.86. Dane Piedt was another bowler with an economy rate of over 5 r.p.o and managed to pick 1 wicket in the match. He was wicketless in the 2nd innings finishing with 102 runs in 17 overs with 3 maidens. However, Dane Piedt scored 56 off 107 balls chasing 395 runs at number 10. Theunis de Bruyn and Temba Bavuma failed with the bat in both innings for South Africa.
India to win the match
India has a stronger batting line-up with an in-form and much consistently improving bowing attack. Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma and Mohammad Shami have all been in great touch. Rohit Sharma at the top along with Cheteshwar Pujara followed by Kohli and Rahane in the middle form a formidable side. South Africa has a long way to go as their bowling attack lacks the necessary skill to get the better of Indian batting line-up.
Fantasy Team Tips
- Quinton de Kock would be the better choice of wicket-keeper given his current form and the fact that the Proteas depend on him in the middle.
- While Dean Elgar and Aiden Markram are two important Proteas batsmen at the top, Rohit Sharma and Cheteshwar Pujara would be significant scorers for India.
- In the all-rounders department, Ravindra Jadeja would be India’s top performing all-rounder. While Vernon Philander didn’t pick many wickets in the 1st Test, he had better economy than the rest.
- Kagiso Rabada would be key for South Africa. He finished with 1 for 41 in the 2nd innings and would be keen on making a comeback I the 2nd Test.
Fantasy Team Prediction
- Wicket-Keeper – Quinton de Kock
- Batsmen – D Elgar, A Markram, Rohit Sharma, C Pujara, A Rahane
- All-rounders – V Philander, R Jadeja
- Bowlers – K Rabada, Ishant Sharma, Mohammad Shami
- Captain – C Pujara
- Vice-Captain – A Rahane