- Venue: Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Date: 31st January, Friday
- Time: 1:30PM IST
- League: 2019-20 Big Bash League
New Zealand Preview
The home side will rue the fact that they should have won the previous T20I game against India played at Seddon Park in Hamilton. New Zealand once again could not deliver under pressure to lose the T20I series to India. With three consecutive defeats, Kane Williamson will need to produce something special to break their winless streak in the competition.
In the previous game, Captain Kane Williamson delivered a scintillating innings for New Zealand. Chasing 180 runs to win, Williamson played exceedingly well and finished the innings with the top-score of 95 runs off 48 balls with the help of eight fours and six sixes.
Besides, Martin Guptill and Ross Taylor have shown decent form in this series. Martin Guptill got the side off to an excellent start and chipped in with 31 runs off 21 balls with the help of two fours and three sixes. In the batting department, the side will be relying on likes of Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill and Ross Taylor to do the bulk of the scoring.
On the bowling front, the onus will be on the likes of Tim Southee, Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi to provide crucial breakthroughs. Tim Southee failed to deliver the goods with the ball for New Zealand. Pacer conceded 20 runs in the super-over to see New Zealand lose the T20I series. Leg-spinner Ish Sodhi was the pick of the bowlers and conceded only 23 runs from his four overs.
Virat Kohli’s will be pleased with his side’s performances in this T20I series. With a win in the super-over, India have taken unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series. Pacer Mohammad Shami delivered an excellent performance in the final over to see the contest go into super-over eliminator.
In the previous game, Rohit Sharma was the standout performer for the side in the batting department. He delivered a splendid innings of 65 runs off 40 balls with the help of six fours and three sixes. He was well supported by wicket-keeper Lokesh Rahul, who chipped in with 27 runs off 19 balls with the help of four fours and one six. Indian Captain Virat Kohli also delivered a fluent innings of 38 runs off 27 balls with the help of two fours and one six.
The onus will be on the likes of Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli and Lokesh Rahul to deliver runs from top, whereas Shreyas Iyer and Ravendra Jadeja will be given the task to go for big runs in the final overs of the innings.
In the bowling department, new-ball pair of Shardul Thakur and Mohammad Shami bowled well and picked up four wickets between them. Left-arm orthodox spinner Ravendra Jadeja put in an economic performance
Based on current form, India will be outright favorites to win their game against New Zealand. The visitors have an upper hand in pace bowling department as Shami and Thakur have outperformed the likes of Southee and Bennett in this T20I series.
Expect India to continue their winning streak at Wellington.
Fantasy Team Tips
- In-form wicket-keeper batsman Lokesh Rahul will be most popular pick for the fantasy side.
- Kane Williamson and Martin Guptill are two players most likely to score runs for New Zealand. Whereas,Rohit Sharma and Indian Captain Virat Kohli will be key players for India in the batting department given their splendid performances produced so far in this series.
- All-rounder Ravendra Jadeja has made telling contributions with the ball for India. On the other hand, New Zealand will be hoping that Colin de Grandhomme can find form with the bat at Wellington.
- Mohammad Shami has shown excellent form for India in this T20I series. His partner, Shardul Thakur has also made crucial breakthroughs for the side in the middle-overs of the innings. On the other hand, Ish Sodhi has been standout performer for New Zealand in the three matches played.
Fantasy Team Prediction
- Wicket-Keeper – Lokesh Rahul
- Batsmen – Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill
- All-rounders – Ravendra Jadeja, Colin de Grandhomme
- Bowlers – Mohammad Shami, Shardul Thakur.
- Captain – Kane Williamson
- Vice-Captain – Rohit Sharma.